AskTraders Trading Community

Why is Metro Bank selling its mortgage portfolio?

Dan Smith

Question

2 answers to this question

Metro Bank (LON: MTRO) is getting closer to offloading the £500m of mortgages to a US hedge fund, believing this move will help the company recover after a very tough quarter.

Metro Bank has been discussing the deal with the private equity company Cerberus Capital Management, from which it has purchased over £1bn of assets.

A source familiar with the matter said that the deal could be finalised on Wednesday when Metro Bank is expected to post its half-year results. The deal would be of significant financial help to Metro Bank, after a troublesome quarter.

“Balance sheet shrinkage is never ideal in the case of a company that has attracted an investor base owing to its high growth prospects. However, capital sufficiency trumps growth and profitability considerations at the current time,” said John Cronin, an analyst at Goodbody, who is concerned about how might selling assets affect the bank’s future profitability.

In simple words after this year's pandemic many mortgages were not paid in time, because of stock market crash is the global stock market on February  20, 2020, during the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic status on global level. Now it is known as Black Monday. I have three years more to finish my plan with Mortgage Advisor Nottingham and will be absolutely independent. I was okay with many payments but did not know how pandemic will affect me regarding my work and lifestyle, so with so many restrictions now, it’s not acceptable. On Monday only are purchasable veggies in store, on Friday on spare parts for cars, what in the world is happening now.