AskTraders Trading Community

Is copy trading a good source of passive income?

Brian Hayslip

Question

6 answers to this question

Passive income is like a holy grail for some. What’s better than making money with no effort on your part? The problem is many of the things considered as generating passive income aren’t truly passive. In fact, few things are truly passive. Even dividend investing, where the dividends are passive, requires work in selecting the proper stocks and in re-balancing when necessary. Another potentially good source of passive income through investing comes from copy trading. This is when you invest based on the trades of others. Copy trading has become increasingly popular over the past few years, and some look to it to generate passive income by copying the trades of other, more experienced, traders. To decide if copy trading is a good source of passive income let’s have a look at some advantages and disadvantages of this type of investing.

Copy Trading Advantages

1. It can give you a quick leg up as a new trader. New traders may be hesitant because of their lack of experience, which limits their income potential. Copy trading makes it easier for new investors since they can make money from the decisions of others rather than needing to conduct all the analysis on their own. If you want to take a more active role eventually in your investing, you can also learn from the strategies of the traders you copy.
  2. Copy trading can limit losses, which makes it more likely that you can use this investment as a source of passive income. As long as you are following well-established traders with a long history of beating the markets you can set yourself up for a passive income success story.
  3. Copy trading can remove many of the risks involved with investing manually. This is especially true if you diversify by following several or many traders, each with different trading strategies. This can smooth out the usual difficulties of trading and allow you to have more consistent performance.
  Those are just a handful of the advantages from copy trading, but they fit with the idea of passive income. Like manually investing in dividend stocks you will probably have to monitor and re-balance your “portfolio”. That means copy trading isn’t totally passive, but it can be close. Now let’s look at some downsides to copy trading

Copy Trading Disadvantages

1. Though you can manage your risk by diversifying, there is still some risk to your capital due to the nature of financial markets. This may mean copy trading isn’t a suitable passive investing method for you.
  2. Copy trading isn’t totally passive because you must select the traders to copy. This can be stressful at first, but as you become more experienced, it becomes easier to find the traders with a good track record and consistent results.
  3. There are arguments that copy trading is not a means to generate passive income. Instead, copy trading is meant to be a learning tool that helps new investors learn about different trading strategies.
  You need to decide if copy trading is a good source of passive income for you. Some have made it work, while others may prefer other passive income sources such as dividend income, real estate investing, peer-to-peer lending or the tried-and-true bonds and CDs.

Copy trading links your assets to those of your favorite trader, therefore, saving you the trouble of creating a strategy to track the markets. This method mimics not only an investor’s open trades but also their future activities. The fact that you choose the amount to commit to a deal minimizes your losses. What’s more, you get to learn the ropes as a newbie. 
But copy trading also has its downsides. To begin with, choosing a trader means the technique isn’t completely passive.
Similarly, the trading platform and the user you’re copying take a cut of your commission. Like all investments, the plan is not foolproof. This calls for the diversification of your portfolio. You can also consider other passive income avenues like dividends, bonds, CDs, P2P lending, and real estate. Also, check your leader’s trade history for past wins and regulatory status for legitimacy.

Great question, Bryan.

Copy trading entails duplicating a top trader’s market positions. For instance, 2% of your capital will go into Microsoft shares if your chosen trader also uses 2% of their investment on the same stock. Instead of leaving your money with strangers, you open an account and link it to your leader through a copy trading site, hence, eliminating fraud.
Given you don’t constantly monitor the market, copy trading becomes the ultimate passive income source. It also gives you a head start seeing you can make money without prior trading experience. Your only effort goes into selecting a trader. Even so, choosing the right leader can be daunting considering the numerous self-proclaimed experts.
Start by checking their risk score. A low score translates to experience and working trading strategies. Unless you’re interested in new asset types, your leader’s preferred market also determines the looming risk. For example, Crypto is more unstable than Forex and stocks.  Its important to keep in mind that your leader isn’t immune to losses.

If you want to invest and earn profit in crypto, do not hesitate to visit primecryptomarket.com , i was first introduced to this platform by a colleague, since then i have made 309,650 USD, and I constantly make withdrawals so i strongly recommend it to anyone.

A lot of people has invested in crypto and lost a lot of money including my self. In 2023 I lost 190,000 USD by trading with fake brokers and making by investment choices, however Cryptocurrency trading has been really simplified in 2024. If you want to earn big money in trading visit ‘primecryptomarket.c_o_m’. My husband has just withdrawn his profit of 428,000 GBP without any stress. They process withdrawals with easy. 

Have you ever tried to trade and failed? I recommend you to try primecryptomarket.c-o-m” this is the only trading site I can vouch for. They have really good AI trading bots. I have made over 700, 000 USD on their platform and I have withdrawn 15 times with ease.