AskTraders Trading Community

Can I buy the S&P 500 at its current all-time highs?

Simon Mugo

Question

1 answer to this question

Given that the S&P 500 has been printing new all-time highs for most of the last week, it's safe to say that you should proceed with caution. Right now, most investors are buying the popular stocks that have seen significant gains in their share price, yet this is exactly what you should not do. Sophisticated investors usually cash out when stock prices are at all-time highs, which is what you should aim to do. Do not rush to buy over-valued stocks in the current market environment as the best time to buy is when stocks are trading at their lows.

Investing is hard because the most prudent investment decisions usually go against our human nature. It's hard to be a seller when everyone is buying, but you must be willing to go against the crowd if you want to beat the markets. While I cannot offer personalised investment advice right here, I can tell you that buying at the highs is generally not a good idea.