AskTraders Trading Community

Gold rally and my stock portfolio

Simon Mugo

Question

1 answer to this question

Hello James, I understand your concerns about the rising gold prices and the major uncertainties facing the world as the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to spread. However, I cannot give you personalised investment advice regarding your stock portfolio and whether you should invest in gold because I would have to know more about your investments.

However, as a general rule, you should split your investment capital between different asset classes such as stocks, bonds, commodities, real estate, and precious metals such as gold. The amount you allocate to each of these buckets depends on your investment goals and the length of time you intend to hold your investments.

In times when one sector is outperforming other sectors, you could decide to allocate more capital to that bucket in order to profit from the higher returns. You could do this if you fell the need to get more exposure to gold, however, you should seek personalised advice from your financial advisor before making such an important decision. Remember, that all investments carry risks that you should be familiar with.