Sign in to follow this  
Lindsay R

How do I trade CFDs

Question

Hi there,

I would like to trade in CFDs. Much as I will get a broker,I want to know the basics so that I am not so green. This way, I will even be able to ask my broker the right questions. Can someone briefly enlighten me on what the process of trading CFDs entails.

2 answers to this question

Hi Lindsay. A CFD is a 'contract for difference'. you are essentially able to profit from the movement of an asset without actually owning it. So it is basically a contract between you and the broker. 

The majority of brokers allow you to trade them, depending on the location you are in, for example you can't trade CFD's in the US. It would merely be a case of opening an account with a broker that allows you to trade them and then choosing the market you want to trade. I would suggest opening a demo account before you begin and learning as much as possible. 

If you head to the compare section of the site you will be able to view and compare CFD brokers to choose the best one for you

Hi Lindsay,

The contract for difference -CFDs- trading represents you with an avenue to profit from international price movements. You have an opportunity to use your expertise in hypothesizing an increase or decrease in prices for fast-moving instruments within global financial markets.

Defining CFD Trade

A definition acts as an excellent starting point. Trading involves a contract for exchanging the difference in value for whichever underlying financial market instruments you target. However, you don’t own this instrument. Your profit or loss arises from how much your choice of instrument changes while the contract remains valid.

Profiting from CFDs

As a trader, your objective involves making a profit from CFDs. To achieve this, your proficiency must rest on accurately predicting which way an instrument’s price will head. If you predict an increase, you would place a ‘buy’ trade at the prevailing price. Subsequently, you would sell later once the price has increased.

A wrong prediction in price changes means losing your initial investment and perhaps even more than your original deposit.

Starting Off in Trading

As a neophyte in this market, you must learn the ropes first and fast. The best way includes opening a free demo account with a proficient brokerage. Run such an account until you attain sufficient confidence and proficiency to trade in your own money.

Demo accounts often don’t have time limits. Pick a market to trade on, select an instrument, or trade a particular market value entirely. Determine the number of CFDs to purchase or dispose and remember to include a stop-loss limit to diminish possible losses.

Trading Tips

Rapid fluctuations occur, making it critical to remain on your toes once you enter this market. Subscribe to international financing journals and forums to keep tabs on the market. Also, seek a traders’ guide and cultivate excellent relations with support departments.