AskTraders Trading Community

Spotify

Marko Jovicic

Question

1 answer to this question

Hi Marko,

Thanks for the question and I hope you are doing well.

Spotify made an announcement that completely dominated the media in the past 24 hours or so. The media giant agreed to sign Joe Rogan, who is hosting one of the most popular podcasts in the world today “Joe Rogan Experience”. The deal is reported to be worth around $100 million.

"It will remain free, and it will be the exact same show. It's just a licensing deal, so Spotify won't have any creative control over the show. They want me to just continue doing it the way I'm doing it right now. I'm excited to have the support of the largest audio platform in the world and I hope you folks are there when we make the switch!," said Rogan.

As a result, shares of Spotify surged 8% higher on the announcement. Rogan’s podcast is the second most popular of its kind on the Apple Podcasts. Over the years, Rogan built an impressive audience on Youtube, with some of his videos seen tens of millions of times, while the number of subscribers surpassed 8 million recently.