AskTraders Trading Community

Did Facebook resolve the privacy issues associated with the site?

Peter Kimani

Question

3 answers to this question

Well, Facebook (NASDAQ: FB) has not yet resolved the privacy breaches that caused a public uproar in the past, but is currently in negotiations with the Federal Trade Commission. According to a news report, the social media giant is expected to pay a multi-billion fine after which it has to hire a new privacy chief and implement stringent privacy policies.

It is not clear whether this shall be enough to pacify the public despite the FTC requiring the company to appoint an “independent” committee to oversee privacy measures. Interestingly the discussions are pointing at Mark Zuckerberg being held responsible for any future privacy breaches given his bad handling of prior breaches.

Most people were agitate with Facebook whose main business is to sell their data to advertisers, which in and of itself seems to be a conflict of interest. However, the social media app is an integral part of the lives of its over 2 billion users such that it is highly unlikely that it will run out of business any time soon.

It is almost 2021, and this issue is not yet fixed by them. I know they are claiming that everything is ok, however trust me, it is not like that, not even close. They didn't even pay the fine that you were talking about. Even more, recently i got an email saying that someone tried to acces my account from Indonesia. That is great, ain't it?

On 10/26/2020 at 4:02 PM, Donna Cornish said:

in my opinion nothing will ever change with them

Hi Donna, you make a very valid point. The problems with Facebook stem from the company's founder who seems to have no idea about respecting people's personal data and privacy.

However, Facebook is not the only major company with this problem, Google has similar practices when its comes to tracking it users. Unfortunately, these companies are such an integral part of our everyday lives that its almost impossible to completely avoid them.

One of the best options with Facebook is to just delete one's account (however, this is not practical for most people). Trying to avoid Google is a whole other nightmare. You can try on an individual level, while we wait for regulators to do address the issue effectively.

Facebook paid a $5 billion fine, which is not huge for the company and it seemed to pacify the regulators.