AskTraders Trading Community

How did Starbucks earn billions in free advertising?

Mark Michaels

Question

2 answers to this question

Starbucks (NASDAQ: SBUX) made approximately $2.3 billion in free advertising during the past few days, after the fans of the popular TV show “Game of Thrones” spotted a modern-day coffee cup in the latest episode. It later turned out that it wasn’t even a Starbucks one.

Because the scene was pretty dark, it’ wasn’t really clear what label is it but reminded many fans of the iconic green siren from Starbucks. However, it was only a craft services cup.

Stacy Jones, chief executive of marketing company Hollywood Branded, estimated that the coffee company giant made $2.3 billion in free advertising. The New York-based media monitoring platform, Critical Mention counted 10,627 mentions of Starbucks and ‘Game of Thrones’ online and on TV and radio worldwide.

This is a once-in-a-lifetime collision of opportunity for Starbucks,” she said. “But really, this is just the tip of the iceberg, because what isn’t being monitored or estimated is the word of mouth and social media on top of this.”

They had a very good strategy. This market campaign was a great success. From my point of view, Coca Cola same marketing campaign wasn't such successful as the Starbucks one. I think that self-advertising is one of the best inventions. I own a small online platform where I sell different accessories for bikes. So, I work with the guys from https://www.firstpagedigital.sg. This is one of the digital media companies in our region. The guys from there came with a few nice solutions that helped me to increase the number of sales.

Edited by Hannah Greene