AskTraders Trading Community

Why has Alibaba restructured its business units and management team?

Simon Mugo

Question

2 answers to this question

Alibaba Group Holdings Ltd. (NYSE:BABA) announced unexpected changes to its management team today with the appointment of Maggie Wu, the company’s CFO, as head of strategic investments replacing Joe Tsai, the executive vice-chairman.

The Chinese e-commerce giant also announced that it had merged DingTalk, its enterprise software division with its cloud division and that Freshippo, its supermarkets unit, would become an independent business.

Many analysts believe that the business restructuring and management reshuffle was driven by the fact that Alibaba’s e-commerce business appears to have peaked, which means that the company has to generate revenue growth from other business units.

The appointment of Maggie Wu as head of strategic investments appears to be a move aimed at streamlining the company’s investments given that Wu is also the Group’s CFO as the company attempts to integrate its investments into its main operations.

Alibaba’s CEO, Daniel Zhang said that the move was meant to guarantee innovation and secure the company’s future. Zhang is set to take over as chairman once Jack Ma retires on 10th September.

On 3/11/2021 at 6:07 PM, Lucas Martin said:

Because restauration is the key to success when it comes to business. I have learned all of that information from my father. He was owning a complex of businesses related to traveling and hotels and it was always a hard time when he was thinking of changes. I had no idea why he was thinking about such things because the business was doing really well. Now I understand. If you want to have such knowledge that your business concurrent would shake in front of you, I recommend having a mentor like neetish sarda father. It’s always powerful when you learn from such powerful persons, believe me and my humble experience!

Oh really? that is very useful to know!