When choosing a broker, one of the most important things to consider is whether, or more accurately where, they are regulated. Any involvement with an unregulated broker will likely end up with you never seeing your funds again. If you open an account with a broker that operates under licence from the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC), you are placing funds with a regulated broker. IIROC is a non-profit, national self-regulatory organisation. IIROC oversees all investment dealers and trading activity on debt and equity markets in Canada.
Its mandate covers overseeing Canadian stock market activity, investigating and disciplining firms or advisors for misconduct, and setting high regulatory and investment industry standards. Founded in 2008 through the merger of the Investment Dealers Association of Canada (IDA) and Market Regulation Services Inc. (RS), the organisation has built an internationally recognised reputation. In short, it is responsible for ensuring that financial market activities are carried out in a strong and fair manner.
The Best IIROC-regulated brokers
- A global broker with a reputation for integrity and fairness.
- High-quality multi-lingual customer service available around the clock.
- Good for novices, intermediate-level traders, and professional traders.
- Free demo account.
- MT4, MT5 and in-house platforms, AvaTradeGO, AvaSocial and, AvaOptions to choose from.
- Competitive spread and leverage offering.
- More than 1,250 markets available in indices, commodities, shares, forex, cryptocurrency, bonds, vanilla options and exchange-traded funds (ETFs).
- A 4.8 / 5.0 rating on Trustpilot.
Canadian clients of AvaTrade hold accounts with Friedberg Direct — a member of the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC) and the Canadian Investor Protection Fund (CIPF).
Within specified limits, customer accounts receive protection from the Canadian Investor Protection Fund. AvaTrade’s cutting-edge technology ensures that all your personal details are protected by SSL encryption and industry-leading protocols.
- Offers access to the global markets.
- High-spec proprietary Advanced Trading Platform and MT4 platforms available.
- Advanced Trading Platform comes with more than 80 technical indicators.
- Free-to-use, no-strings-attached Demo account.
- Mobile app with full trading capabilities.
- Real-time trading alerts and market notifications.
- Extensive research and analysis tools to help develop your trading skills.
- Canadian forex traders can take leverage up to 1:33 (CAD/CHF).
- Broker passes on slippage if it’s in your favour.
- Extensive network of liquidity partners helps you access the heart of the markets.
- Forex.com staff are on hand to assist you with queries 24 hours a day from 10am ET Sunday to 5pm ET Friday.
GAIN Capital-FOREX.com Canada Ltd was admitted to membership in the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada, effective May 10, 2012.
The head office is located at Bedminster One 135 US Hwy 202/206, Suite 11, Bedminster, New Jersey 07921. Telephone: 908-731-0700.
- Multi-asset broker with an abundance of neat additional extras and tight spreads.
- Super-impressive trading platform – a ‘must’ for those who want to try out a state-of-the-art trading dashboard.
- Trade a range of asset groups from forex to options.
- Round-the-clock customer service.
- High-grade research and analysis designed to help you spot trading opportunities.
- Free Demo account.
- A large amount of educational materials – ideal for beginners.
- Spreads on major FX pairs start at 0.7 points, and commissions on shares start from 0.1%.
- Crypto spreads start at 40 points.
CMC Markets Canada Inc. is a member of the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada and the Canadian Investor Protection Fund. CFDs are distributed in Canada by CMC Markets Canada Inc., acting as principal.
Address: 2915-100 Adelaide St W, Toronto, ON M5H 1S3, Canada.
- One of the big players – has earned a reputation as a leading financial services firm.
- Market insights and other quality research items to identify trading opportunities.
- Great trading infrastructure to ensure fast, reliable execution across all asset classes.
- Great range of markets to trade, from equities to energy storage and transportation.
- Winner of #1 Canadian FX Services Quality and Share Leader award from Greenwich Associates Canadian FX Study, 2020.
- If forex is your thing, TD Securities offers not only spot markets but also forex forwards, swaps, and options.
- Metals traders take note: the broker was awarded the Precious Metals House of the Year prize at the Energy Risk Awards, 2019-2020.
TD Securities Inc. is regulated by IIROC and is a member of FINRA.
Address: PO Box 1, TD Bank Tower, 66 Wellington Street West, Toronto, Ontario, M5K 1A2.
- Easy functionality combined with professional-grade trading tools.
- 24/6 trading of the global markets, including stocks, options, futures, currencies, ETFs, bonds, warrants and funds – all from a single integrated account.
- The Trader Workstation platform is powerful enough for the professional trader but is designed for everyone. Available on desktop, mobile and web.
- The Portfolio Builder tools help you create investment strategies based on fundamental data and institutional-grade research.
- Systematic traders can use the 30 Algos that are on offer.
- Mobile app is market-leading – ideal for those who trade on the go.
- Rated #1 – Best Online Broker by Barron’s in 2020.
- Free trials available in its Demo account.
- Traders’ Insight is an excellent resource for traders looking to learn from the pros.
- For beginners, there are the Traders’ Academy Courses and Interactive Tours, which explore stocks, options, futures and currency trading and how to get the most out of the platform.
Interactive Brokers Canada Inc. is a member of the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC) and the Canadian Investor Protection Fund.
Registered Office: 1800 McGill College Avenue, Suite 2106, Montreal, Quebec, H3A 3J6, Canada.
- Multi-asset broker offering markets in equities, ETFs, options, bonds and mutual funds.
- Online community to allow you to share ideas with other investors.
- Free educational seminars.
- Institutional-grade research and analysis, including Inspired Investor magazine.
- Special Lifestyle Screeners to help you establish your investment goals.
- Free real-time price quotes.
- Free Demo account.
- Multilingual customer support, including free one-on-one sessions with RBC experts.
RBC Direct Investing Inc. is a member of the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC) and the Canadian Investor Protection Fund.
Address: RBC Direct Investing Inc. Royal Bank Plaza, 200 Bay Street, North Tower, PO Box 75, Toronto, Ontario M5J 2Z5.