Dating back to 1972 and headquartered in Birkirkara, Calamatta Cuschieri Investment Services Ltd. is one of the largest financial service companies in Malta. It helped pioneer the online trading industry with its award-winning online platform called CCTrader and its associated website of that name.
Through CCTrader, Calamatta Cuschieri offers an extensive choice of financial instruments to investors and traders, including thousands of equities, funds, exchange traded funds (ETFs), bonds and savings plans. Although the company used to offer cryptocurrencies, it has now ceased offering a trading service in those products.
If you are interested in how we review Calamatta Cuschieri and CCTrader, then read on further in this CCTrader review to determine if the platform will satisfy your trading needs and if it makes sense to open an account with Calamatta Cuschieri today.
Note that this is not a Calamatta Cuschieri/CCTrader Forex review, a Calamatta Cuschieri/CCTrader cryptocurrency review or a Calamatta Cuschieri/CCTrader CFD review, since this broker does not currently provide a trading service in CFDs, fiat currencies or cryptocurrencies.
- An award-winning trading platform.
- Well-established company.
- Simple deposit and withdrawal methods.
- Has access to customer service via live chat, phone and web form.
- Minimum deposit is $0, unless you ask for a secure key.
- Does not accept Paypal deposits.
- Few cryptocurrencies to trade.
- No demo trading account.
What can you trade?
Calamatta Cuschieri /CCTrader Stocks Review
The equities available for trading at Calamatta Cuschieri through the CCTrader platform are listed on more than 40 international stock exchanges. These exchanges are based in countries and regions that include the U.S.A., Canada, Europe and Asia.
You can not only trade individual stocks via CCTrader, but you can also invest in funds, exchange-traded-funds (ETFs), bonds and savings plans via this platform. The platform has a variety of order types you can enter, including limit, market and stop loss orders for which you can define validity periods. You can also perform a full cost analysis before execution based on live market prices using CCTrader.
Furthermore, if you are interested in learning more about trading and investing, then CCTrader offers considerable educational assistance. These include articles, videos, seminars and a glossary of financial terms.
What did our traders think after reviewing the key criteria?
Calamatta Cuschieri /CCTrader Fees
Clients of Calamatta Cuschieri who wish to use the CCTrader platform should expect to pay away the market dealing spread whenever entering or exiting a transaction. There are also some additional commissions or flat fees charged for making trades via CCTrader that are detailed here and summarised as follows:
- Stocks: Stock trading via CCTrader involves competitive rates. Fees begin at just $8.99 per equity transaction for U.S. trades, €9.99 for European trades and £7.50 for UK trades.
- ETFs: CCTrader’s fees for ETF trades are flat fees, but they vary in both the currency charged and the amount. Any applicable exchange fees are also added. For example, standard stock traders pay a $12.50 charge for U.S. stocks, while professional traders pay $9.99. If you trade more than 15 trades in any given month, then your rate will be reduced to $9.99.
- Funds: Fees for these transactions start at a flat fee of €30 for purchases and sales, plus a percent rate of 0.45% for purchases only.
- Bonds and Bills: Trading international bonds incurs a €9.99 minimum flat fee with a 0.1% rate, and there is no charge for bond custody. You can also trade treasury bills for a flat fee of €30 and a percent rate of 0.05%.
- Savings Plans: These investment accounts can be opened with just €40 per month, and the investment fee is 1.5% of the deposited amount. There is no charge to set up, close or maintain your account. If you redeem the savings plan at any point within 2 years, you pay 2%, but after 2 years, redemption is free of charge.
Regarding withdrawals, SEPA bank transfers are free of charge at Calamatta Cuschieri, unless the amount is less than €5, in which case you pay a fee of €0.20. There is also a €5 charge for urgent manual bank transfers. Your bank may also charge a fee for such transactions.
Transferring assets to Calamatta Cuschieri so you can use CCTrader is free of charge, although outwards transfers cost €175 per security. An internal security transfer to another account costs €10 per security. There are additional fees for processing international bond interest payments and making fund distributions. Equity dividends processing is done free of charge.
Be sure to check the CCTrader website or ask Calamatta Cuschieri’s customer service staff if you have any specific questions about fees, as they are subject to change.
Calamatta Cuschieri’s CCTrader platform and its services are designed for experienced and knowledgeable traders and investors who are comfortable making their own investment decisions. Calamatta Cuschieri also has special accounts for corporations or trusts who wish to use CCTrader, as well as for brokers that wish to expand their online presence.
Personal accounts are known as Trade Essential accounts at Calamatta Cuschieri. All new accounts are of this type by default. Although Trade Essential accounts are fully functional, the order size is limited to €30,000 and you can only have an investment portfolio amount up to €100,000. Contact CCTrader’s support if you wish to raise these limits.
You can also open a free demo account funded with virtual money. This can be useful to practice trading using the CCTrader platform. Calamatta Cuschieri does not mention offering an Islamic account type on the CCTrader website.
Calamatta Cuschieri offers its own sophisticated web-based platform known as CCTrader for trading a wide variety of instruments and asset classes. CCTrader is straightforward to use and easily supports order execution in the investment assets offered. You can also view real time data for each of the tradeable instruments offered by Calamatta Cuschieri.
Another useful feature is the CCTrader platform’s charting capabilities. These are highly sophisticated and include many popular technical indicators.
You can also use CCTrader to set up customised watch lists of assets, keep track of important market news and review trading blogs. In addition, the platform lets you get an overview of all of your savings and investment assets on one screen, along with real time prices for each component of your investment portfolio.
In addition to the web-based platform, CCTrader is available as a mobile app for iOS and Android devices. The Android app’s dashboard screen featuring its financial markets news feed is shown in the screenshot below.
CCTrader’s official website is focused on the investment asset trading platform and what you can do with it. It has a professional design in shades of navy blue on a white background with eye-catching imagery and well-written text. The site’s easy-to-read format has links to information you might have questions about.
The menu tabs at the top of the CCTrader site include: About, Features, Products, Pricing, Education and Contact. You will also find buttons in the upper right to Open Account, Login, Old Platform and CCTrader’s customer support phone number.
The bottom of each page on CCTrader’s site has more useful links, as well as a Live Chat button you can use to get customer support. You can also review the site’s helpful FAQ if you are looking for more detailed information.
Calamatta Cuschieri’s website has a similar tasteful design in blue and grey with a white background behind blue and black text. Its menu tabs include: Investments, Online Trading, Funds, Savings Plan and Insurance.
Calamatta Cuschieri lets you obtain support for CCTrader in person, if you happen to live in Malta, or via telephone, Live Chat and a website contact form.
Support staff is available on a 24/5 basis during the trading week to answer questions, and they were very helpful when contacted via Live Chat for this review.
Over the weekend, you can leave a message for customer support to get back to you when they return to the office via the form shown on the CCTrader site’s Contact page below.
Calamatta Cuschieri lets clients who want to trade through CCTrader make deposits and withdrawals using two basic payment channels. These are:
- Cheque Deposit: You can deposit a bank draft or a cheque in your account made out to Calamatta Cuschieri Investment Services Ltd. along with a cover letter mentioning your Account Code. Send that to Calamatta Cruschieri’s Finance Departmetn at P.O. Box 349, Valletta, Malta. Once received, your account will be credited the same day.
- Direct bank transfers: For the fastest transmission of funds to Calamatta Cuschieri, you can send them via bank transfer to one of the three accounts CCTrader specifies on its website here quoting your Account Code in the bank reference space. Processing should be instantaneous or on the same business day, and there is no charge for transfers to make deposits.
Of course, some traders who prefer to use credit/debit cards or e-wallets to fund their investment accounts may be disappointed to discover that those common deposit methods are not offered at Calamatta Cuschieri.
Calamatta Cuschieri’s best offer is probably its CCTrader platform and its wide range of investment assets you can trade through it. In addition, CCTrader’s website offers expert investment and market analysis, as well as a financial news feed.
If you are new to investing, then you may wish to peruse the selection of video tutorials and educational articles available under the CCTrader site’s Education menu tab.
Calamatta Cuschieri also has several social media accounts. The financial firm’s main Facebook Page is quite active and presently has almost 15,000 followers and some recent posts. In contrast, the company’s now-inactive Twitter account has just 99 followers, while its YouTube channel has only 83 subscribers and a small number of promotional and educational videos.
Regulation and Deposit Protection
Calamatta Cuschieri is based in Malta and is regulated under a Category 3 license by the Malta Financial Service Authority (MFSA). Since Malta is a member country of the EU, Calamatta Cuschieri operates under the Markets in Financial Instruments Directive II. This means it must keep its own funds segregated from its clients’ money.
Furthermore, funds deposited with any MFSA regulated financial institution are protected by Malta’s Depositor Compensation Scheme that was established in 2015 under Regulation 4 of the Depositor Compensation Scheme Regulations. This provides protection of €100,000 per depositor per financial institution.
With respect to data security, Calamatta Cuschieri uses SSL encryption on CCTrader’s web-based interface, and it has an internal policy requiring strong protection of user data. It also generally stores client deposits and assets in cold storage blocks to protect them.
CCTrader has been around a long time in the financial services business, but it has not won as many industry awards as some newer companies. It does, however, have some impressive accolades that it won in recent years that include the following awards:
- Best FX Trading Platform – CCTrader – The London Summit Awards, 2018.
- Best Business Solutions – CCTrader – The MCA eBusiness Awards, 2015.
- CCTrader was a finalist for the Best eBusiness idea of the Year award at Floriana.
- Best E-commerce Website – CCWebtrader- The MCA eBusiness Awards, 2012.
Furthermore, CCTrader reviews at Trustpilot were mostly positive, although a few less-than-favourable comments were left by clients, as often happens. The company took the time to respond to each comment in a professional manner, which indicates a strong commitment to customer satisfaction at Calamatta Cuschieri.
CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. 75% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider. You should consider whether you understand how CFDs work, and whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money.